BEEP! BEEP! IT'S ME.

"Begin at the beginning,and go on till you come to the end: then stop." (Lewis Carroll, 1832-1896)

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked."Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat."I don't know," Alice answered."Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

"So long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation. "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

"All right," said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone. "Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin," thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Like Arthur Dent from "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", if you do not have a Babel Fish in your ear this blog will be completely unintelligible to you and will read something like this: "boggle, google, snoggle, slurp, slurp, dingleberry to the power of 10". Fortunately, those who have had the Babel Fish inserted in their ear, will understood this blog perfectly. If you are familiar with this technology, you will know that the Babel Fish lives on brainwave radiation. It excretes energy in the form of exactly the correct brainwaves needed by its host to understand what was just said; or in this case, what was read. The Babel Fish, thanks to scientific research, reverses the problem defined by its namesake in the Tower of Babel, where a deity was supposedly inspired to confuse the human race by making them unable to understand each other.

"DIFFICILE EST SATURAM NON SCRIBERE"

Beepbeepitsme has been added to The Atheist Blogroll. You can see the blogroll in my sidebar. The Atheist blogroll is a community building service provided free of charge to Atheist bloggers from around the world. If you would like to join, visit Mojoey at Deep Thoughts.

Subscribe to BEEP! BEEP! IT'S ME

Saturday, March 11, 2006

What The World Thinks Of God


UK Among Most Secular Nations
Levels of religious belief and activity in the UK are among the lowest around the world, according to a BBC poll carried out in 10 countries.

Link

4 Comments:

Blogger Chimera said...

One of the problems in getting accurate polling on a subject like this is that no one has yet defined "god" to everyone's satisfaction!

I am no believer in the Judeo-Christian-Muslim idea of "one-god-who-looks-like-an-angry-old-white-man-that-lives-in-the-sky." If someone were to ask me if I believed in God, I would assume they meant that definition, and I would say "No." They would then presume that I am an atheist, and they would be wrong.

I made the suggestion once to a pollster, who really didn't know how to categorize my answer, that instead of "god" the word to use would be "diety," or "dieties." His blank look told me that that wouldn't work, unless more people know that "god" and "diety" are almost synonyms.

*sigh* The English language is a fluid language, and most people who purport to speak it are only treading water -- they've never learned to swim!

12/3/06 6:49 am  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

Well I think this is one of the problems when discussing "god". God appears to be whatever the individual wants it to be. Which is why I suggest that for every believer there is a god concept.

12/3/06 4:09 pm  
Blogger M. B. Dezotell said...

I flunked out of 12-steps for the same reason I stopped going to church when I was 10 years old: both groups asked me to believe in a higher power.

The only one who got it right, in my opinion, was Valentine Michael Smith, who correctly perceived that we, as thinking beings, ARE the higher power. "Thou art god."

To accept that concept, of course, means to reject the idea that gods are immortal, omnipotent, and all-knowing. It is impossible to be aware of all things at once, or control the universe, or live forever. At best we can be aware of our immediate surroundings to the limitations of our senses, know of ourselves within the limitations of our own minds, and live as long as we are able to survive.

Having accepted that, it is easy to conclude that we are all, each and every one of us, god.

13/3/06 6:29 am  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

And of course, this is what makes a fundamentalist's head spin around and spew green vomit,the suggestion that human beings are their own god or gods. That we, in fact, create the concepts of gods which suit our psychological, cultural, political and geographical needs.

13/3/06 9:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home