BEEP! BEEP! IT'S ME.

"Begin at the beginning,and go on till you come to the end: then stop." (Lewis Carroll, 1832-1896)

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked."Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat."I don't know," Alice answered."Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

"So long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation. "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

"All right," said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone. "Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin," thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Like Arthur Dent from "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", if you do not have a Babel Fish in your ear this blog will be completely unintelligible to you and will read something like this: "boggle, google, snoggle, slurp, slurp, dingleberry to the power of 10". Fortunately, those who have had the Babel Fish inserted in their ear, will understood this blog perfectly. If you are familiar with this technology, you will know that the Babel Fish lives on brainwave radiation. It excretes energy in the form of exactly the correct brainwaves needed by its host to understand what was just said; or in this case, what was read. The Babel Fish, thanks to scientific research, reverses the problem defined by its namesake in the Tower of Babel, where a deity was supposedly inspired to confuse the human race by making them unable to understand each other.

"DIFFICILE EST SATURAM NON SCRIBERE"

Beepbeepitsme has been added to The Atheist Blogroll. You can see the blogroll in my sidebar. The Atheist blogroll is a community building service provided free of charge to Atheist bloggers from around the world. If you would like to join, visit Mojoey at Deep Thoughts.

Subscribe to BEEP! BEEP! IT'S ME

Monday, February 12, 2007

Getting a Perspective on Global Energy Reserves and Consumption

Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Oil Consumption Per Capita

Proved Oil Reserves


Proved Natural Gas Reserves



Proved Coal Reserves

And I am sure the fact that EXXON MOBIL is the RICHE$T corporation in the world, has nothing to do with The Bush Administration's negativity towards human impact and Global Climate Change.


, , , , , , , , , ,

Link

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some interesting figures there Beep. As far as oil reserves go, do you know if that's just what BP know about or does that encompass everyone's known reserves?

12/2/07 10:44 pm  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

That is the proved world oil supply statistics from the BP website. Each year they put out statistics on the proven worls supplies of oil, natural gas and coal, plus information specifically about BP.

Each year the % of proven oil supply increases in the middle east and decreases in other parts of the world.

Similar figures can be found here.
http://www.aneki.com/oil.html

Or here - Oil reserves by country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves

13/2/07 1:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for too those Beep...

13/2/07 9:11 am  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

Yes, very interesting stats.
& i've just noticed the new Ads the American automobile makers "Ford" & "Chevrolet" are putting out, letting us know that they each have the biggest bad ass gas guzzelers on the market!

13/2/07 11:30 am  
Blogger Dikkii said...

Really does put it in the clear why we push such ludicrous schemes such as CO2 sequestration.

13/2/07 4:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re Dikkii: Yeah but at the minute, it's either that or nuclear. Both bad apples I know, but CO2 sequestration has by far the least risk involved and we need to buy ourselves a couple of years so we can bring solar technology and the inherent problems that brings with storage (there's no sun at night) or some alternative fired method to meet our nightly needs. Personally I'd prefer it was a solution that involved hydrogen, but that's just to expensive at the moment, although it is getting cheaper all the time.

That said though, and considering your comments over on mine (there'll be more about this over there) about solar power, here's an interesting project I found the other day that has some merrit I think. At last, a reasonable sized solar installation that will contribute in a major way...:)

13/2/07 6:23 pm  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

RE: lt

Don't start me on the "gas guzzlers." lol

It amazes me that people defend their right to drive cars that are not fuel efficient. Just another kind of sefishness, I guess.

I have always driven a small fuel efficient car, and before that I rode a small motorbike. I wonder how much of car consumerism is ego and how much is necessity. I figure a lot of it is ego. Maybe guys need a big car if they have a small peepee. I dunno .. ;)

13/2/07 10:40 pm  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

RE dikki and ted

I am not convinced about C02 sequestration. I think that this is an agenda which isdriven primarily because of australia's huge coal deposits. So, it is mainly an economic decision, rather than an environmental one. Of course it would be great they the science is practical, affordable and safe, but at the moment, it is an unknown quantity.

The government seems to concentrating on sequestration and nuclear power. They have effectively put the public purse into those areas. As these options seem to be their decision, they are not spending money on alternative fuel research.

13/2/07 10:45 pm  
Blogger The Old Stooge said...

Re: Gas Guzzlers

I don't know about you Aussies, but tell an American he can't do something and he will go out of his way, to his own detriment, to do that thing. I've begun to think that if we told every conservative male in America that they should drive gas-guzzling SUVs, they would all go out and buy hybrids, just to prove they don't have to do what they're told.

14/2/07 12:36 am  
Blogger Blueberry said...

I know we're being told that the CO2 sequestration is supposed to be "safe" but I still have my doubts.

As for gas mileage, I'm driving a 6 year old car that gets better mileage than the new ones coming out that are touted for great efficiency. It's sad. Industry should have done better than that, but it's all about the bottom line and what people want. Vicious cycle.

14/2/07 1:15 am  
Blogger King Aardvark said...

People are inherently lazy and selfish. I know I am ;-) I do wish that our respective governments would stop wasting so much money on nuclear and invest in smaller scale safer, cleaner energy alternatives. I can certainly accept using nuclear as a stop gap until better tech comes along, but we shouldn't just take nuclear as the final solution.

14/2/07 5:12 am  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

RE: stooge

We have the same situation here. Every second person is driving a huge $ wheeled drive (SUV) and fantasizing about being Mad Max. (At least, I think they are fantasizing about being Mad Max.)

They all make up what I consider to be flimsy excuses as to why they need this type of vehicle, but I am less than convinced. I think it has more to do with some psychological issue involving power and brute force.

RE: blueberry

I am with you on that. I don't like the idea of a huge fuel bill. My little car goes on the "smell of an oily rag." Plus, I can outgun all those SUVs at the lights. lol

RE king

The market encourages us to be selfish and lazy. The market panders to some of our worst characteristics in order to sell product.

Usually I can deal with this without getting annoyed about it. But in the case of gas guzzlers, I can't.

14/2/07 9:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home